Coordination of GCRMN and Reef Check

Gregor Hodgson rcgregor at usthk.ust.hk
Thu Feb 20 00:49:26 EST 1997

Coordination of GCRMN and Reef Check

There are several global and regional coral reef monitoring initiatives
that have been started, and there is a need to coordinate them to avoid
overlap and duplication of effort. The two largest programs are GCRMN
and Reef Check. Both of these programs have the same overall objectives
of measuring human impacts and natural variation in coral reef
communities sufficiently to determine their status and trends.

At this time, we would like to clarify the relationship between GCRMN
and Reef Check. These two programs were designed to complement each
other by dividing the available resources. GCRMN is presently best set
up to work with governments and to make use of monitoring teams composed
purely of scientists. Reef Check is best equipped to utilize monitoring
teams composed of recreational divers, led by a marine scientist.

Therefore, we would encourage all monitoring teams to register
accordingly with the appropriate program -- scientific teams with GCRMN
and recreational diver teams with Reef Check. Note that dual
registration with both programs will also be accepted. Beyond 1997 and
IYOR, the goal will be to merge these two programs.

With your help, by the end of 1997, we will have an unprecedented
synoptic view of the global health of coral reefs.

Gregor Hodgson                   Clive Wilkinson
Reef Check Coordinator           Coordinator,
<rcgregor at usthk.ust.hk>          Global Coral Reef Monitoring
Network
                                 <C.Wilkinson at pearl.aims.gov.AU>