El Nino?

Prof Alan E Strong strong at nadn.navy.mil
Fri Mar 14 12:41:07 EST 1997

It would appear from our SST anomaly charts [satellite] that the warmer
than normal SSTs off the SA coast and extending along the Equator beyond
the Galapogos may be announcing a 1997 ENSO event...stay tuned.  Our Coral
Reef Bleaching Hotspot charts show SSTs along the Peru & Ecuador coasts to
be in excess of the maximum monthly SST climatology by levels by over +1
deg C!

SST Anomalies:
http://psbsgi1.nesdis.noaa.gov:8080/PSB/EPS/SST/climo.html

Coral Reef Bleaching HotSpots:
http://psbsgi1.nesdis.noaa.gov:8080/PSB/EPS/SST/climohot.html

Cheers,
Al
                                Alan E. Strong
Physical Scientist/Oceanographer                 Adj. Asst. Professor
  NOAA/NESDIS/ORA/ORAD -- E/RA3                    US Naval Academy
  NOAA Science Center -- RM 711                    Oceanography Department
  Camp Springs, MD  20233                          Annapolis, MD  21402
	301-763-8102                                    410-293-6566 [v-mail]
       Alan.E.Strong at noaa.gov                          strong at nadn.navy.mil
	FAX: 301-763-8020                               FAX: 410-293-2137
     http://www.nadn.navy.mil/Oceanography/FACULTY/AES_resume.html