Proceedings on CD

Rolph Payet rolphap at seychelles.net
Thu Nov 9 13:05:31 EST 2000

Dear collegues

1. I would opt for a CD/Web-based version, as there is a lot of us out there
who could not afford to come to Bali.

2. We should also not forget, Adobe Acrobat which can compress documents (75
to 100 dpi) into printable format - available across a variety of platforms,
or even the old pkzip and other archiving software which can reduce CD-space
tremendously. I have never seen an 1 Mb scientific paper (20-30 pages),
unless it is a 50+ pg report or contains very high resolution or native
graphics. Coverting those graphics often reduces the file size considerably.

3. Authors should use compressed resampled JPEGs instead of TIFFs/BMP for
the pictures, and that should significantly reduce the size of pictures
without sacrificing legibility. Handy sharewares/web photo tools are now
available to do this. For technical diagrams, the picture/metafile format
 or a raster-based compressed image format) would be more practicable.

4. HTML ( one web page) can be used to index all the files on the CD-ROM,
which will also make searching and filing much easier. The webpage does not
need to be complicated with frames. Just one page ( in the oldest form of
HTML, which will contain a list ( grouped in categories) and with links to
those documents. Another page classified by author and/or country could be
developed. This webpage could then be online and also provide links to
downloadable files.

5. To reduce download times and ease conjestion, coral friends around the
world could host mirror sites for a limited period so that everyone can
download. I am sure people/Univeristies would be happy to help, for say six
months.

Hope this is useful.

regards

Rolph