REEF

Noah, Michael D POJ Michael.D.Noah at poj.usace.army.mil
Wed Feb 21 22:34:47 EST 2001

Leslie,

An outstanding response, and what a great idea.  Volunteer efforts like those of
REEF and ReefCheck are usually highly effective vehicles for getting good
science conducted, since they're not encumbered with having to pay for the hired
labor.  And you're absolutely right, the data collection element is the most
time and cost consuming part of the entire process; that you think you might be
able to simply redirect the team to the proposed project site for one or two
trips shows great flexibility, not to mention the fact that the volunteer's
participation in documenting an imminent impact to a reef system in order to
preserve other reef systems may provide considerable additional motivation to
some of the field crews - their data will be discussed and used almost
immediately.

One comment that I do have is that surveying fish communities alone in an
attempt to evaluate the potential anthropogenic impacts that may have accrued to
their habitat from a project of this type can often be problematic, primarily
due to the number of other environmental factors (or stressors) that may be
simultaneously at play in driving the structure of the resultant fish community
present on any given reef system over time scales being investigated.  Even the
natural variance in the fish data that can be generated from observer to
observer or from site to site, much less the variance from season to season or
year to year, can often completely mask the "impact" that may be attributable to
the phenomenon that is under investigation - in this case, dredging and pier
construction.  Of course, if there is no reef where once there was, it doesn't
take a statistical test to ascertain there's been an impact.  Don't
misunderstand, he fish community data is absolutely important, particularly
since the presence or absence of many preferred fish species are often the
"litmus test" that the public and regulatory community uses to ultimately
evaluate habitat quality.  Unfortunately, the long-term, more subtle impacts of
a dredging and/or pier project to the underlying fish communities may not be
statistically evident for many years after the project has been completed - and
even then there have likely been so many other potential stressors at play in
the intervening period that one may have a very difficult time pointing a
defensible finger at the culprit (sea water temperature fluctuations, other
construction activities, non-point source pollution from urban runoff, etc.).

I guess what I'm gettin' at is, you may want to see if you can expand your
volunteer's capabilities by incorporating some habitat variables into the
surveys as well, such as the percent cover of live and dead corals, inventory of
hard coral species present, maybe even a feeling for the benthic soft bottom
community that exists in the sandy interstitial areas between the reefs as well,
and even a quick mapping of the existing reef system.  I'd also push for the
inclusion of data from adjacent reefs that may seem to be outside of the zone of
impact.  These latter reef systems may be able to act as temporal "controls,"
since they'll likely be subjected to all of the same environmental variables
that the reef system being impacted is going to be subjected to, before, during
and after construction, with the maybe the single exception of the impacts that
would be associated with construction.  That would help lead one to surmise that
the differences are indeed likely to be project-related.

Also, one recipient that you left off your reply was the Coral-List group at
coral-list at coral.aoml.noaa.gov, I'm sure that many of them would be happy to
both hear your "offer," and many of them may even be willing to join in, given a
bit of encouragement, direction and logistical support (e.g., dates, times,
where to meet, places to shack up, etc.).

(stomp, stomp, stomp... the sounds of one walking down off of the soapbox)

Michael