CORAL FROM PBS SHOW

Warriorwrk at aol.com Warriorwrk at aol.com
Fri Jul 20 14:17:56 EDT 2001

I am a researcher for an IMAX film production company called MacGillivray
Freeman Films.  We're producing a film about coral reefs that will be
released early in 2003.  We watched a U.S. PBS Nature documentary that aired
in May 2001 called "Australia's Little Assasins."  That show contained brief
footage of a coral that apparently shoots out toxic 'spears' to gather its
prey.  We understand from PBS that the footage comes from a BBC documentary
aired in 1992 called "New Guinea," filmed by Neal Nightingale.  While I am
contacting BBC to get more info on the footage itself, I'm hoping someone in
the coral world also saw the documentary, or is familiar with this species
and can help me identify it and point me to where I might learn more about
it.  Of course, if anyone happens to know anything about the footage itself,
I'm all ears!

I'll look forward to your reply and thank you for your help.  I've been
watching the Coral-List for more than a year and have appreciated the many
things there are to learn and the many people who care so passionately about
the world's coral communities.
Best regards,
Janna Emmel
MacGillivray Freeman Films