mantis shrimps crisis

Bridget Armstrong b.e at mweb.co.za
Fri Nov 2 08:29:57 EST 2001

Dear coral-listers
I am forwarding this to you as I know there is a lot of expertise on tropical systems out there, and perhaps someone can help:

Please see the urgent message below from Selby Remie who is our IUCN contact
in the Seychelles (a  state member of IUCN) and the person largely
responsible for environmental affiars in government.

Does anyone have an answer to any of Selby's questions or do we know who can
address this problem URGENTLY?

Clearly there is urgency if the temptation is there to eat these shrimps as
the wash up on the shore.  So any response would be greately appreciated -
direct to Selby and/or to us at EARO and/or to Mariano at IUCN Species
programme at HQ in Gland (mgd at iucn.org)

This is one of the reasons for having a group in our region - so can we find
the answers quickly?

With regards,

Geoffrey Howard
Regional Programme Coordinator for IUCN in Eastern Africa