coral reefs doomed?

Alan E Strong Alan.E.Strong at noaa.gov
Mon Sep 10 13:59:40 EDT 2001

Dear Ove, Bob, and others,

It seems about the right time to correct a misimpression that we spoke to at
Bali last October.  Our Bali paper noted that NOAA’s satellite SST data from
around the tropics were believed to have been indicating an alarming increase
(upward tendency – hardly a “trend”!) over the past two decades
latitudinally as
high as 0.5 deg C at 5 N latitude!  A re-evaluation of these data, through a
program sponsored by NASA and NOAA, called “Pathfinder” has taken all the
year-to-year improvements in making correct measurements over that time interval
and reprocessed the data in an up-to-date and uniform fashion. More importantly,
in-situ SST data from all the drifting and fixed buoys available were utilized
to both validate and correct satellite calibrations on a regular basis.  From
Pathfinder we now believe that we have a more accurate set of NOAA satellite SST
observations
the best results for buoy comparisons are still seen when using
only those Pathfinder satellite SSTs made at night.

>From Pathfinder nighttime SST observations (Paper will be presented at the
upcoming Ocean Sciences AGU) it is seen that SSTs through most of the tropical
latitudes have not been rising but holding rather steady.  In fact some regions
have been showing steady DECLINES in SST.  We still are finding greater declines
in the southern hemisphere (reported at the Bali meeting) but even northern
tropical locations show decreases: e.g., region around Midway; the region known
as “The Warm Pool” both continue to trend downward during the 80s and 90s.  Even
though much of the Indian Ocean experienced devastating bleaching from high SSTs
in the late 90s, this area is basically experiencing a downward SST tendency.
There are several regions that may be showing statistically significant
increases, but this final say will not be official until the Feb 2002 Ocean
Sciences meeting when we expect to have “Pathfinder” 1999 and 2000 SST data
fully incorporated.  Regions that have been experiencing upward tendencies are:
American Samoa – Fiji – Cook Islands; some regions of the Caribbean (especially
eastern portions); Mexican’s Pacific coast; Red Sea; Arabian Sea/Persian Gulf;
and possibly the extreme southern regions of GBR.  There are other regions in
the northern Atlantic and Pacific, outside areas of interest to coral folks,
that show upward trends.   These upward tendencies may be starting to show
effects of climate increases that, from the oceans standpoint seem to be mostly
noted at higher latitudes in the Northern Hemisphere
.see you at Oceans
Sciences.

Footnote:
A much scarier scenario is seen when the 1997/98 El Nino period is incorporated,
a scenario we believe that will be largely eliminated with the addition of 1999
and 2000 SST data.  Any trends ending during such a significant event are
“statistically flawed.”  What some are concerned about for the future of coral
reefs from the standpoint of temperature is what will El Ninos be like over the
next 50 years
So far I know of no reliable model with the answer to that
question

Cheers,
Al

--