No subject

Mike Risk riskmj at mcmaster.ca
Sat Dec 7 08:52:53 EST 2002

<coral-list at coral.aoml.noaa.gov>
Subject: Re: coral farms
Sender: owner-coral-list at coral.aoml.noaa.gov

There are coral farms and coral culture schemes all over the world now.
I worked with an ADB team in Indonesia on the COREMAP project in 1995.
When we worked out the economics of coral farming as an alternative
employment scheme for migratory tribes like the Bugis and Badjo, we
estimated that the rate of return on investment from a properly-run farm
(larvae on tiles) was 50% per annum. This is somewhat better than the
North American stock market has done, in recent times...

All the more reason to shut down illegal wild-harvesting. All the
Indonesian trade is illegal-plus ca change.
digests, please see http://www.coral.noaa.gov/lists/coral-list.html .