[Coral-List] vacancy announcement GIS Specialist-American Samoa
chwkins at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 19 15:15:08 EDT 2003
Please find below the vacancy announcement for a GIS Specialist (coral reefs and associated flora and fauna) in the US Territory of American Samoa.
Coral Reef Initiative Coordinator
Government of American Samoa
Since 2002, the US Coral Reef Initiative (US CRI) has created opportunities for increased efforts by the U.S. Territory of American Samoa to protect coral reefs via remote sensing and associated GIS capabilities. Funded via The American Samoa Coral Reef Advisory Group (CRAG), the GIS Specialist will conduct investigations relevant to the monitoring, assessment, or management of coral reefs. This position will be located in the American Samoa Department of Marine and Wildlife Resources (DMWR). The position is designated to fill the remaining year of a two-year funding commitment, but may be renewed thereafter based on mutual consent.
Duties and Responsibilities
The duties and responsibilities of this position are:
1. In collaboration with DMWR fisheries biologists, create and analyze appropriate spatial data for use in their research projects.
2. Work collaboratively with CRAG member agencies on GIS components of CRAG-funded projects.
3. Train and mentor in-house GIS Technician in GIS operations and data set creation.
4. Maintain the departmental GIS system and ensure its compatibility with existing or developing non-coastal GIS in the territory.
5. Assist and coordinate with federal partners ongoing and future marine mapping projects.
6. Advise and report to CRAG on appropriate technology and project developments.
7. Perform other relevant duties as assigned by the DMWR Chief Biologist.
The position requires an individual with the minimum of a Masters degree in an appropriate science. Experience in all of the following areas is essential:
· ESRI ArcGIS 8.x
· Spatial data creation and manipulation
· Marine GIS applications
· GPS operation and post processing
The following skills are preferred:
· Experience with marine-based remote sensing (particularly multi-spectral, aerial and acoustic)
· Project management experience
· Database (Access and FoxPro) experience
$30,000 p.a. Travel expenses and shipment of effects. Annual and sick leave accumulate at eight hours and four hours respectively every two-week pay period. Subsidized housing (80% subsidy) on rental of a government house. Subsidized medical care.
Applications are due by 5 September 2003. Please mail, fax or email résumé, publication list, contact details for three references and a covering letter addressing the qualifications and responsibilities indicated above to:
Ufagafa Ray Tulafono, Director
Department of Marine and Wildlife Resources
PO Box 3730
Pago Pago AS, 96799
E-mail applications or questions may be routed via Christopher Hawkins (Coral Reef Initiative Coordinator) at:
CHAWKINS at doc.asg.as
United States citizen or Pacific Islander preferred. However, should a non-US citizen or Pacific Islander be chosen, point of hire will be from the US or Pacific.
For more information on American Samoa GIS initiatives please visit: www.AmericanSamoaGIS.com.
Do you Yahoo!?
Yahoo! SiteBuilder - Free, easy-to-use web site design software
More information about the Coral-List