[Coral-List] Methods for nubbinising tabular corals?

capman at augsburg.edu capman at augsburg.edu
Thu Mar 11 17:34:28 EST 2004

Gel-type superglues can work well for this sort of thing, and are far
less bulky than epoxy putty or clay.  There are a number of good ones
marketed for this purpose that are used extensively by reef aquarium
hobbyists.  You might contact Inland Aquatics in Terre Haute, Indiana
for suggestions (they have a web site).  Also, if there is a reef
aquarium society in your area, you would likely find its members to
be great fonts of knowledge about practical things like this
involving the propagation and growing of corals....these folks are
mostly not researchers or even scientists (though some are), but many
reef aquarium hobbyists are extremely knowledgeable, skilled, and
clever at working with corals in aquaria (researchers should not
underestimate the potential value of making connections with advanced
hobbyists!).

Recently, one of my students set up a coral growth experiment using
small (approx 2 cm) Acropora branch tips glued to the ends of 10cm
lengths of glass rod.  Not all superglues worked equally well for
her.  Of the brands available locally in the local hardware stores in
Minnesota (USA), she found that "Duro Quick Gel" worked best (I have
no idea what brands you would have available though).

Superglues don't always hold coral fragments extremely tightly in my
experience (especially if the coral is glued to glass), but if the
coral fragments are healthy they should sheet out at the base and
attach fairly quickly (depending on species..in our case, the corals
had firmly attached themselves in no more than a few weeks), and then
you are home free....attachment will be secure at that point.

To get the best grip with the superglues, the surface you are gluing
to should probably be a bit rough.  You should also dry the base of
the coral fragment with a paper towel before applying the drop of
glue (I think there might be advantages to applying the glue directly
to the base of the coral fragment rather than or in addition to the
surface you are gluing to), and make sure the surface you are gluing
to is dry.

I have also heard of people using hot melt glue to attach corals.
Heat might be an issue of course if the coral fragment is small, but
such glues can grip quite well and a small dot of glue might be
enough for a good hold.  I have not tried hot melt glue myself though.

I hope this helps.

Bill

*********************
Bill Capman