[Coral-List] Graduate Student Open House

ScienceAmbassador ScienceAmbassador at american.edu
Wed Feb 2 08:05:02 EST 2005

The Department of Biology at American University would like to offer you
an exciting opportunity to visit and learn more about our graduate
programs in Biology and Environmental Sciences.  We have recently
instituted new funding for both additional stipends and research supplies.
 Qualified graduate students can now earn over $20,000 a year to support
their graduate education.

We are holding a Graduate Student Open House on Monday, February 21, 2005
for you to visit and learn about potential research projects and graduate
funding opportunities. This day-long event is designed to familiarize you
with our campus resources and give you a better idea about the themes and
goals of our Master's programs.  At these events, there will be many
opportunities to talk with both faculty and graduate students.

The day will start at 9 AM with a welcome and introduction to the
Department, followed by a tour of our facilities and the campus, then a
luncheon with faculty in the department.  In the afternoon we will have
some short research talks from our faculty and graduate students.  At the
end of the day, the graduate students will take you out for an informal
pizza social.

Please reply to Dr. Nancy Zeller, letting us know if you plan to attend
the February 21st open house by Friday, February 18, 2005.  We will also
try to find you accommodations with the graduate students or faculty for
the nights of the 15th or the 16th.  Contact Nancy Zeller at
nzeller at american.edu or 202-885-2191.  Let Dr. Zeller know if you would
like to arrange accommodations and if you would like a copy of the agenda.

Applicants interested in funding are strongly encouraged to attend the
Open House, as the departmental review of applications begins in late
February.  Also note that attendees are awarded waivers for their
application fees. I also encourage you to inquire about reimbursement for
your travel costs to the event!  We hope you will be able to visit and
learn more about our graduate programs.  If you have any questions, please
feel free to contact Nancy Zeller at 202-885-2191.  We look forward to
meeting you.

Nancy Zeller, Ph.D.
nzeller at american.edu
Department of Biology