[Coral-List] St Maarten seeking new Marine Park Manager
Kalli de Meyer
kdm at telbonet.an
Sat May 6 04:30:07 EDT 2006
The Dutch Caribbean island of St Maarten is seeking suitable candidates for
the newly vacant position of Marine Park manager.
The job description is posted below. Please reply directly to
info at naturefoundationsxm.org (not to this address) and note the closing date
for applications which is the 12th May 2006
Job Description-Marine Park Manager
Through funding of IUCN-NL and Stichting DOEN, The Foundation for Management
and Conservation of Nature on Sint Maarten is currently seeking a:
MARINE PARK MANAGER
The vacancy is available for one (1) year, with the option for extension.
The Marine Park Manager will be in charge of the organization, supervision
and daily management of operations related to the Marine Park. This entails
the following activities:
- Execution of leadership responsibilities with office marine park
- Preparation of action plans, grant writing and reporting;
- Implementation and daily maintenance of marine park facilities,
supplies, materials and equipment
- Regulations enforcement, patrolling and control;
- Involvement in research and monitoring through scientific work;
- Information, outreach and public relations;
- Working relationship with the educational program in schools;
- Stimulation of assistance from volunteers and coordination of
- Management of marine park financial administration and budgeting;
- Execution of fundraising and lobbying activities
- Working relationship with tour operators, French Side and various
The candidate has:
- Competence in the implementation of operational plans and
- Ability to work within a team and to show initiative, leadership
- Proficiency in written and verbal communications skills,
including computer operations, databases and geographical information
- Knowledge in tropical marine ecosystems and possible
research-related experience in this field
- Knowledge and experience of nature protection and management
- Knowledge and experience in the field of education, public
awareness and promotion
- Knowledge and experience in the area of fisheries and marine
affairs and in the field of water-based tourism and the ports industry
- Experience in the safe use, handling, and maintenance of marine
vessels and engines.
- Experience in liaison with commercial tourism operators,
community groups and other stakeholders.
- Experience of financial administration and budgeting
- Degree in higher education (for instance Master's)
- General knowledge of nature conservation, management, education
and public relations.
- Excellent communication skills in the English language (both
written and verbal).
- Knowledge of the French, Dutch, and Spanish language is an asset.
- SCUBA Certified diver (PADI/NAUI or equivalent)
- Clean, valid drivers license
- Clean police record
- First Aid certification a plus
Only applicants with valid working papers need apply. Antilleans preferred.
Please apply in writing with your CV and covering letter to:
info at naturefoundationsxm.org or fax + (599) 542 0268 or call + (599) 542
0267 for more information.
Deadline: May 12th 2006
More information about the Coral-List