[Coral-List] The Chagos MPA - what went wrong?

Douglas Fenner douglasfennertassi at gmail.com
Tue Oct 21 03:25:55 EDT 2014

Magnus,

    When we write journal articles, we're required to define our
abbreviations and acronyms.  Sometimes people post messages with an acronym
in it without defining the acronym, and I often reply to them offline
asking if they would mind defining it for coral-list.  Whatever the
acronym, over 8000 people around the world in many different countries,
with many different first languages, and many different specialties receive
these messages, and I just think it is courteous of writers to define their
acronyms and abbreviations.  I forget to do it myself sometimes.  You have
several, some of which I and others may not be familiar with.  Could you
please define for us what the following are:

LMPA
IUU
MRAG
BIOT
FCMZ
RAMSAR
ZSL
POP
BINGOS
PEW

Thanks!  Cheers,  Doug

On Mon, Oct 20, 2014 at 11:14 AM, Magnus Johnson <m.johnson at hull.ac.uk>
wrote:

> Richard has answered the question re who said what in court re the
> relationship between MPA and Chagossian right to return but I must say that
> if one just steps back and ignores the clever dicing with words and
> posturing, its pretty obvious what is going on, isn't it?
>
> Really, people should read the paper Richard led on.  If you contact him
> directly, I'm sure he will be happy to share it.  The volume comes out in
> December and will have examples of good, bad and ugly LMPAs.
>
> Re the rest . . . . (if you can be bothered reading!)
>
> 'From Charles Sheppard, Chair, Chagos Conservation Trust
>
> Designating the Chagos Archipelago a no-take marine protected area (MPA)
> was based on the best available science.
>
> The precautionary principle<
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Precautionary_principle> was rightly applied
> to ensure that lengthy deliberation did not allow further destruction of
> the world's most pristine coral reefs.
>
> ##########
>
> Fisheries scientists would argue that for the pelagic realm the best
> protection is to have  a well managed, closely controlled fishery where the
> licensed fishermen have a vested interest in ensuring that IUU fishers stay
> out of the area.  According to MRAG “making the whole of the BIOT FCMZ a
> fully no take area will provide no conservation benefit to tuna” (MRAG Ltd,
> 2010).
>
> For the reef areas I would agree they require protection.  So I guess
> building a dirty great tarmac runway on Diego Garcia, having uncontrolled
> recreational fishing by service personnel, driving no longer required
> military vehicles into the ocean and dredging up coral for construction
> should not happen?  Would that all fall under the precautionary principle?
> Are these appropriate activities for a RAMSAR site?
>
> I don’t actually have a problem with the military base - I guess its a
> necessary evil, but to ignore its presence, not challenge their behaviour
> and to avoid referring to the environmental damage caused by the military
> presence is bizarre.
>
> ---------------------------
>
> Policies should, of course, be reviewed as further scientific evidence
> comes to light. In the case of Chagos, new research continues to
> corroborate the decision to protect this unique ecosystem.
>
> It is misleading to claim that the no-take policy is another barrier
> preventing the displaced Chagossians from returning to the islands. The MPA
> declaration states that the level of protection would be reviewed – in full
> consultation with the Chagossians – in the case of resettlement.
>
> #####
>
> This statement makes no sense.  It suggests that there is a link between
> resettlement and protection, i.e. conditions could be imposed, but that
> this isn't a barrier to resettlement! Claiming to be "just a simple
> Scientist" as Charles did at a Chagos bash in the Linnean Soc a few years
> [...]

Douglas Fenner
Contractor with Ocean Associates, Inc.
PO Box 7390
Pago Pago, American Samoa 96799  USA

phone 1 684 622-7084

"belief in climate change is optional, participation is not."

belief in evolution is optional, use of antibiotics that bacteria have not
evolved resistance to is recommended.

website:  http://independent.academia.edu/DouglasFenner