[Coral-List] Teaching Mega-Fauna to eat Invasive P. Volitans

Paul Hoetjes phoetjes at gmail.com
Wed Mar 9 17:01:59 EST 2016

Dear Damien,

Feeding lionfish to predators is not only NOT a solution, but also a really
really bad idea. First, you cannot possibly train enough predators to eat
lionfish to have any measurable effect, and since there is no train the
trainers program for predators, they will not teach their fellow predators.
Predation on lionfish will happen naturally or not at all.
Second, these misguided attempts have led to many serious incidents and
dangerous situations all over the region. When you teach potentially
dangerous predators that humans will feed them, they will become
conditioned to this and will start looking for food from any diver, often
harassing or even attacking them. This has led to serious moray bites and
shark bites of people hunting lionfish but also of people who were just
diving and had no idea why they were suddenly attacked. Not good for
tourism, and definitely not ecotourism.

Just a very bad idea!

Best,
Paul