[Coral-List] Goniopora Stokesi: have you grown them?

info info at haereticus-lab.org
Tue Jun 13 13:25:36 EDT 2017

Hey Damien,

We had grown G. stokes for 3-5 years.   it was a freakish contaminant in our
refugiums - couldn't get rid of it.  We also grew them for couple of years
in our holding tanks.  We used them as a model for newbies to do coral
tissue explanting - First Xenia, then Goniopora, then Fungia, then "real
coral."  We had "neighbors" complain about their Goniopora bleaching, going
pink, then dying.  They did have a lot of boring algae, more than what we
did, but then they also had fish.

We did learn how to quickly get rid of them.  We were doing an experiment
with Clown Fish, and some got sucked into the refugium.  The Clown Fish tore
them to shreds.  No idea why.

We make up our own seawater, and in our holding tanks, we have higher than
normal levels of calcium and magnesium.

Two people who definitely know more than me on this is Justin Credable and
Julian Sprung.  I think Julian ran some formal experiments with Goniopora,
like 10 years ago.  There was also a grad student (10 years ago or more) at
IUI in Israel who was doing some work on the Genus as it related to the Red
Sea.  Perhaps Yossi or Zvi might know who the person was and their work.

I still have some of Justin's Goniopora food, which was pretty good (high
iron and sulfur content).  We fed them every day in the holding tanks.  The
feral ones in the refugium, not sure why they did so well and lasted so
long.

Craig

Message: 3