[Coral-List] Coral on the Great Barrier Reef was 'cooked' during 2016 marine heatwave. REALLY? REALLY? REALLY?

Scott Bainbridge S.Bainbridge at aims.gov.au
Wed May 9 05:50:58 EDT 2018

From Craig Steinberg, Senior Oceanographer, AIMS.

The slides referred to can be accessed at:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/wa2gfvw7we23i9o/AIMS%20response%20to%20Burrows%20-%20Wooldridge_20180430.pdf?dl=0

Hi Scott - to correct and clarify a few things raised in your post we provide a few background slides (see link above) with explanations below

1) Scott refers to high level of thermal stress in the 2008-2009 summer compared to 2015-2016.  If you follow the link he provides to support this, it shows for 2015-2016 the NOAA predicted level of stress for March-June 2016 (i.e. after the main stress event – mid Autumn to early Winter).  Similarly, his inferred level of thermal stress for 2008-2009 is again based on NOAA’s projected levels of stress. Although temperatures were very warm in December 2008 they cooled off January-February 2009. In both cases he is NOT using the actual, measured levels of thermal stress/SSTs but NOAA projected levels (and for 2015-2016 he uses these for the March-June, i.e. not at the time of years when corals most at risk).

On the pdf attachment "AIMS response to Wooldridge" Slide 1: we have compiled the NOAA DHW plots comparing the footprint of accumulated heat stress for 2016 & 2017 vs 2008 and 2009. We have used the March 21 time point which accumulates the heat for 12 weeks from Jan 1-Mar 21 to capture the Summer. There is clearly a much stronger heat stress during the recent events throughout the North in 2016 and the Central & North in 2017, which matches our in water and aerial assessment of bleaching in both years. In 2008 and 2009 there is not a single reef region on the shelf which exceeds 3-4 DHW’s compared to MAX DHW’s in the 8-11 range for reef regions that bleached in 16 and 17.

So in summary the DHW product has been a reasonable indicator of bleaching and Scott has mischaracterised 2008 and 2009 as having greater stress from incorrect forecasts of an autumn/winter period and not used actual observations through summer.

2) Slides 2-5 summarise what did occur during 2008-2009:  Early summer warming and a hotter forecast for the rest of the summer, however the GBR then had significant monsoon rainfall during January and then TC Hamish moved SE parallel to the GBR cooling surface waters and reducing thermal stress (albeit producing significant wave damage to a vast region of the coral reefs)

So there is a fundamental misunderstanding by Scott of what happened that summer.

2) Wooldridge also refers to 2008-2009 as a strong La Nina event based on the atmospheric Southern Oscillation Index of ENSO.  Based on the SOI over the May-April year, SOI = 8.6 compared to 18.9 in the very strong La Nina of 2010-2011.  The SOI can be a quite noisy series and we find the Nino 3.4 SST index a better measure of ENSO activity. See Slide 6.  For 2008-2009 this was -0.36C compared to -1.11C in 2010-2011.  For 2015-2016 the SOI was -14.9 and the Nino3.4 was +2.12C.  So, you could possibly describe 2008-2009 as a weak La Nina.

Also note that although El Nino events typically tend to be associated with unusually warm late summer SST on the GBR, there is no consistent typical SST pattern associated with La Nina events.

3) Background on Wooldridge’s hypothesis that increased nutrients from upwelling exacerbates bleaching

Context for the paper by Baker et al., 2018 “Climate change promotes parasitism in a coral symbiosis” that test's Scott's hypothesis.

Baker et al. (2018) found that that under increased (but sub-bleaching) temperature the symbionts assimilate more nitrate and pass on the energetic costs of doing so by translocating less carbon to their host, the studied coral species Orbicella faveolata. The results supports Scott’s hypothesis.

Kenkel and Bay (2016 and ms in prep) measure carbon translocation under both ambient and heat stress conditions, and demonstrate that carbon limitation following heat stress may exacerbate bleaching in 4 out of 6 investigated coral species.
These results support both Wooldridge (in press) and Baker et al. (2018), but also illustrate that not all species conform.

Based on a review of research that showed various mechanisms by which the availability of excess nutrients (nitrogen, phosphorus and carbon) can increase the susceptibility of corals to bleaching, the 2017 Scientific Consensus Statement (Chapter 1, Schaffelke et al. 2017) concluded:
“It is expected that improvement of water quality would improve the tolerance of inshore corals to thermal stress, although observations during the 2016 bleaching event suggest that good water quality may not add extra benefit during very extreme thermal stress events.”

AIMS has a current NESP-funded project (led by Line Bay & Neal Cantin) to further investigate the link between water quality (incl. nitrate availability) and thermal tolerance. This project will use a combination of field observations of bleaching, environmental modelling (collaboration with CSIRO) and SeaSim experiments.

4)  Scott is arguing that summer offshore upwelling can predispose the reefs with a high sensitivity to thermal stress.
Scott does not discuss the counter action of upwelled water having reduced temperatures, and therefore buffering the ‘surface - down’ heating. Upwelling is a process in which deep, cold and nutrient rich water rises toward the surface. These nutrients “fertilize” surface waters, meaning that these surface waters often have high biological productivity. Both reduced temperatures and nutrients delivered via upwelling can be mixed, dissipated and utilised, and to understand what dominates in terms of impacts (temp reduction as  an ameliorating  impact, or increased nutrients as deteriorating impact) we need more process based studies. If upwelling of nutrient rich waters were to exacerbate the coral bleaching response then we could possibly expect the eastern Torres Strait and certainly the outer ribbon reefs of the NGBR to show more bleaching in 2016. Slide 7 shows significant MODIS Chla in these regions and also cool waters from the upwelling on Feb 22, 2016. This cooling from upwelled water is quite persistent as it also shows up in March during the peak of the bleaching. These areas were the only areas that did not bleach in the region and so we conclude that the thermal cooling is the dominant factor ameliorating the response here.

5) Thermocline shallowing during El Nino
Steinberg (2007) is invoked in some of the arguments about the characterisation of ENSO thermocline variability however it isn’t well recounted by Wooldridge. The schematic (Fig 3.4) courtesy of NOAA/PMEL/TAO describing the basin wide thermocline response (at the equator) is an oversimplification and so it isn’t surprising that Scott expects a similar response on the GBR.

The ENSO thermocline shallowing during El Nino is correct for the West Pacific Warm Pool (WPWP)– north of PNG, including the Solomons and via the ITF teleconnection down the WA coast to SA, but not along the east coast of Australia. We have looked at ARGO data and the GBR/Coral Sea may actually do the reverse –as it seems to be de-coupled from the rest of Australia. This is also borne out on the 2016 Palm Passage IMOS mooring near the shelf edge off Townsville where intrusions were suppressed in the summer of that year.

Steinberg 2007 – deliberately leaves the thermocline variability due to ENSO in the GBR as vague. An area that needs further understanding, Sea level observations indicate that ENSO related variation is much smaller than that observed to the north.

“Actual thermocline response along the GBR by ENSO is unknown and may not necessarily occur south of the WPWP, however it can be inferred from the sea level anomaly data that there should be a response. There is an El Niño related sea level increase of 10 cm that can be seen as far south as South Australia. Here the thermocline has been observed to shallow to 60 to 120 metres, 150 metres above the mean thermocline depth. This signal however is thought to propagate from the Indo-Pacific WPWP via the Indo-Pacific throughflow and along the shelf edge wave guide from Western Australia to South Australia, not along the east coast”

Regards, Craig Steinberg and on behalf of Neal Cantin, Janice Lough, Line Bay, Britta Schaffelke and Richard Brinkman.