[Coral-List] Cyanobacteria* Blooms?

Ruleo Camacho ruleo.camacho at gmail.com
Mon Apr 3 17:30:07 UTC 2023

Good day all.

Here in Antigua and Barbuda, we have been getting reports of Cyanobacteria
Blooms in particular areas. These are in deep water (~50-80ft) and first
were in the water column then settling in the bottom (depth of about 6
inches). The areas they have been observed in have no affiliation to
pollution sites so we are a bit confused.

A college of mine in Jamaica had also reported something similar. There,
fishermen are reporting net fouling.

I've included a youtube video here <https://youtu.be/shPFuEfgdrw>
highlighting this algae, and would appreciate any information that can be
shared regarding ID/Cause/Observations in other areas.

https://youtu.be/shPFuEfgdrw

Regards

--
Ruleo A. Camacho
MSc Marine Biology (Coral Reefs)

"Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to
turn on the light" Albus Dumbledore