[Coral-List] Cyanobacteria* Blooms?

Alina Szmant alina at cisme-instruments.com
Mon Apr 3 18:08:56 UTC 2023

Hello Ruleo:

They look like thin filamentous cyanobacteria to me. Also notice the irregular strands of reddish grown on the benthos in parts of the video that also appear to be cyanobacteria. At that depth I would guess that island mass-induced upwelling is the cause of the algal blooms. This has been reported many times going back many decades in the Caribbean. Search for papers by Finn Sanders. Several come up using the Scholar Google search engine.

Alina Szmant

Dr. Alina M. Szmant, CEO
CISME Instruments LLC
210 Braxlo Lane,
Wilmington NC 28409 USA
AAUS Scientific Diving Lifetime Achievement Awardee
cell: 910-200-3913
EMAIL: alina at cisme-instruments.com

CISME IS NOW SOLD BY QUBIT SYSTEMS; https://qubitbiology.com/cisme/

Videos:  CISME Promotional Video 5:43 min   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAYeR9qX71A&t=6s