[Coral-List] Ecologist Job - Archireef, Ltd. UAE

David Michael Baker dmbaker at hku.hk
Wed Apr 19 00:47:53 UTC 2023

Dear Friends, please share this job with your networks!

Marine Ecologist

Job Description

At Archireef (www.archireef.co), our core product sits at the junction of nature-inspired design and 3D-printing using natural materials such as clay. As we continue to grow, we seek a talented Marine Ecologist to work with our Chief Scientist and operations team on the scoping, installation, and monitoring of natural habitats and artificial structures within a diversity of marine habitats including but not limited to coral reefs, seagrass meadows, seawalls, mangroves, and oyster beds.

Through conventional and cutting-edge survey techniques, the hire will collect and preserve specimen and environmental samples, document taxonomic classification and carry out DNA barcoding to build a robust genetic database of the region. Such groundwork will serve future biodiversity monitoring efforts using passive samplers and eDNA, and inform new policy decisions on conserving / restoring marine biodiversity.

To support us on this project we are looking for an experienced Marine Ecologist who is familiar with morphological and molecular taxonomy, data analysis, and interpretation/reporting. The successful candidate will manage the sampling workflow, thus ensuring that best practices are used. The position will be supported, at times, by a team of visiting ecologists and interns during intensive sampling efforts.

If you love the rewarding challenge of establishing efficiency in uncharted territory, we want to hear from you!

Responsibilities

  *   Biodiversity Surveys and Monitoring

     *   Collect biodiversity data in different coastal marine habitats in Abu Dhabi following the protocols of BioBlitz<https://media.nationalgeographic.org/assets/file/NationalGeographicBioBlitzGuide.pdf> and Autonomous Reef Monitoring Structures (ARMS)<https://naturalhistory.si.edu/research/global-arms-program/protocols>

     *   Support in building biodiversity and genetic databases in Abu Dhabi

     *   Work with bioinformaticians and data scientists to quantify biodiversity, identify key bioindicator species, evaluate the effectiveness of human impact (both positive and negative), and assess the efficacy of novel designs and materials on marine biodiversity enhancement

     *   Carry out basic data analysis and visualization of biodiversity data

     *   Write ecological reports in academic/technical style

  *   Ecological Monitoring and Assessment

     *   Manage field operations including artificial structure deployments and conduct field surveys to collect baseline data on ecosystem health and carry out continuous monitoring and maintenance of the project sites

     *   Adapt standardized workflows for marine biodiversity monitoring for coral reefs and intertidal ecosystems

     *   Conduct data analysis and write ecological reports in academic style

Requirements

  *   Postgraduate degree in marine biology, marine ecology, marine environmental science, biological oceanography, or other relevant field

  *   Certified Advanced Diving Certificate (PADI or equivalent)

  *   More than 50 dives logged

  *   Competent in summarizing prior research, including EIA reports and open-source databases (i.e. water quality and biodiversity)

  *   Familiarity with marine invertebrate taxonomy

  *   Preferred: Academic publication records and/or experience with ecosystem services valuation

Work Location

The position will be based in Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates

Salary and Benefits

AED 19,000 (~US$5,000) per month, with sponsorship for visa and health insurance.

Application Procedures

Please send your CV, contact information for 3 referees, and writing samples to info at archireef.co<mailto:info at archireef.co>

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
David M. Baker, Ph.D.
Director, SIRMS
Associate Professor
The University of Hong Kong
Division of Ecology & Biodiversity
The Swire Institute of Marine Science
School of Biological Sciences
Kadoorie Biological Sciences Building 6S-14
Pokfulam Road, Hong Kong, PRC

dmbaker at hku.hk<mailto:dmbaker at hku.hk>

www.thelifeisotopic.com<http://www.thelifeisotopic.com/>

Associate Editor, Limnology & Oceanography
Associate Editor, Proceedings of the Royal Society, B