[Coral-List] Hand-Wringing

Jim Hendee Acropora at protonmail.com
Fri Apr 21 11:24:45 UTC 2023

I can understand why some people are frustrated that we bang our heads against the wall when we hear the "same ol' same ol'" and "Here we go again" (meaning a fruitless endeavor, I reckon), but I have a response to that, plus offered an approach; namely,

1) How can we know what climate change is if we don't know what normal is? Yes, we have satellites to measure the skin of the ocean, but we don't have highly temporal measurements with depth, of sea temperatures; and monitoring can measure other things e.g., nutrients, which we all know is also a threat. I see no good reason to discontinue long term monitoring. Yes, we also need field monitoring protocols to again know what is normal to know what is changing in the biota.

2) Obviously, some of our (in Coral-List) hand-wringing addresses the lack of will or knowledge or even care by the high-ups, if you will. So how do we get rid of these uninformed or uncaring jerks? We vote them out! And to do that, you have to reach the people who go to sea, who will also influence their network of friends and other associates. So what I have just proposed a couple days ago is a "Fest" which doesn't scare off people by asking for a donation, but is using rather inexpensive means to promote a coming together of researchers and divers, fishermen, boaters, and others who enjoy the ocean to mingle and discuss the issues. You may think you know it all, but I guarantee you that if you talk face-to-face with these people you will not only learn something (if you keep an open mind!), you will also find how to get your knowledge across, as well. And funny thing is, if you are listening to music and having a beer, people loosen up and talk more. (Disclaimer: I try not to drink so much since it's bad for you!).

So, with that, if you want to reach out to me with a willingness to send me some printed brochures (or even reprints of your papers), I will circulate them to the crowd. You can even send me your printed rants so people know you are pissed off about [insert favorite rant]. Contact me and I will give you my mailing address, because I don't have the kind of diverse printing required for shiny colored brochures sent via email. "Put your money where your mouth is" and reach out to our sea-faring friends.

End of my rant.

Cheers,
Jim