[Coral-List] Why do so many people care so little

Austin Bowden-Kerby abowdenkerby at gmail.com
Sat Apr 22 03:02:11 UTC 2023

Yes it is easy to become discouraged.  In recent years I find
myself becoming more angered than discouraged.

Of relevance and within our ranks, a new emerging trend is to LOUDLY
announce and even celebrate coral cover recovery events.  However, on
closer examination, many of the so-called "recovery" events are not
recovery back to the original coral populations, but rather are complete
species phase shift events:  with trends away from Acropora and towards
Pocillopora or Montipora, and then finally when that goes in subsequent
stress events, to Porites or to bare CCA covered rock.  All of this is
associated with multiple local coral extinctions.

Is the motivation for reporting recovery so loudly to get publicity, with
these papers picked up by the press?  Because that is what has happened.
Or is the motivation an attempt to get tourists to continue to spend
their money by visiting the coral reefs?  Are these authors oblivious to
the fact that this reporting casts major doubt on the seriousness of
climate change impacts on coral reefs?  We now see them being picked up by
the major deniers of climate change.  The same might be said of some
earlier reports on coral restoration, but at least we did not say that
mother nature was doing just fine on her own.

The fact is that reporting on any recovery should be dampened by stating
the temporary nature of that recovery, that it will all be swept away in
the coming years and decades.  Short term recovery in the face of what is
coming is nothing to celebrate.

Regards,

Austin

Austin Bowden-Kerby, PhD
Corals for Conservation
P.O. Box 4649 Samabula, Fiji Islands

https://www.corals4conservation.org
Publication on C4C's coral-focused climate change adaptation strategies:
https://www.mdpi.com/2673-1924/4/1/2/pdf
22 minute summary of climate change adaptation strategies
https://youtu.be/arkeSGXfKMk
https://www.globalgiving.org/projects/emergency-response-to-massive-coral-bleaching/
<https://www.globalgiving.org/projects/emergency-response-to-massive-coral-bleaching/>

On Sat, Apr 22, 2023 at 6:23 AM Dennis Hubbard via Coral-List <