[Coral-List] Porites defending themselves WITH Turf Algae?

Mary-Alice Coffroth coffroth at buffalo.edu
Mon Dec 18 22:51:14 UTC 2023

Hi Damien,
Porites often form mucous covering ("mucous sheets") that can become fouled with bacteria, algae, etc.  These sheets are then shed periodically.  Below are several older papers published on this.  Please let me know if you need copies of these.
All the best,
Mary Alice

Coffroth, M.A.  The function and fate of mucous sheets produced by reef coelenterates.  In: J.H. Choat, et al. (eds), Proc. 6th Int. Coral Reef Symp., James Cook University, Townsville, Australia, vol 2, pp. 15-20.  (1988)

Coffroth, M.A. Mucous sheet formation on poritid corals:  effects of altered salinity and sedimentation.  Proc. 5th Inter. Coral Reef Congress., Tahiti. 4:165-170 (1985)

Coffroth, M.A.  Cyclical mucous sheet formation on poritid corals in the San Blas Islands, Panama.  Mar. Biol. 109:35-40. (1991)

Coffroth, M.A. Mucous sheet formation on poritid corals: An evaluation of coral mucus as a nutrient source on reefs. Mar. Bio. 105: 39-49. (1990)

Mary Alice Coffroth, PhD
Professor
Department of Geology
Office: 457 Hochstetter Hall