[Coral-List] Porites defending themselves WITH Turf Algae?

Damien Beri damienberi at gmail.com
Tue Dec 19 19:41:04 UTC 2023

   Thank you for these valuable literature shares it appears this is not
   an isolated phenomenon but consistent amongst Porites corals in various
   regions.

   The real question still remains as to, "why?"

   Why would an entire 3 m x 3 m colony gradually recess polyps, get
   covered in this "biofilm - turf algae" to then re-appear months later?
   What triggers this?

   My anecdotal observations show our corals in warm periods being more
   prone to covering of this "bio-film - turf algae" than in cooler
   periods however we still need to validate this.

   With Humility & Respect,
   Damien Lord Beri
   E: DamienBeri at gmail.com
   E2: DamienBeri at thecoralconservancy.org
   C: +1 (917) 543-2164
   Owner: The Waikiki Aquarium Service LLC
   President: The Coral Conservancy 501(c)(3)
   B.S. Biology, The College Of Charleston
   M.A. Marine Conservation & Policy, Stony Brook University

     On Dec 19, 2023, at 2:50AM, Bill Allison <allison.billiam at gmail.com>