[Coral-List] Postdoctoral Fellowship in Coexistence Theory for Coral Reefs

Connolly, Sean ConnollyS at si.edu
Thu Dec 21 17:23:37 UTC 2023

POSTDOCTORAL FELLOWSHIP IN COEXISTENCE THEORY FOR CORAL REEFS

The Connolly Lab at the Smithsonian Tropical Research Institute (STRI) in Panama, is seeking a Postdoctoral Research Fellow for a three-year research project on biodiversity maintenance in reef coral assemblages.

The Fellow will undertake research developing or applying mathematical theory to understand mechanisms of coexistence an/or relative abundances of species, for assemblages of reef-building corals. Within this broad area, there will be substantial flexibility to choose research questions that align with the Fellow's interests and expertise.

Additionally, the Fellow will co-organize (with Connolly, the Connolly Lab Manager, and another postdoctoral Fellow), and participate in, a working group under the broad theme of reef coral biodiversity. This will include participating in, and ideally leading at least one, working group output.

Candidates need not have prior experience working on corals or coral reefs. However, prior research experience formulating and analyzing theoretical models, ideally models of interacting populations, is strongly preferred.

REQUESTS FOR FURTHER INFORMATION should be directed to Sean Connolly (ConnollyS at si.edu<mailto:ConnollyS at si.edu>)

TO APPLY: Interested candidates should email a curriculum vitae, a cover letter describing research interests and experience, and the names and contact details of three references directly to Sean Connolly (ConnollyS at si.edu<mailto:ConnollyS at si.edu>). Confirmation of receipt of application materials will be provided.

Candidates may also access stri-sites.si.edu/recruiter/users/jobs.php?id=373<https://stri-sites.si.edu/recruiter/users/jobs.php?id=373>, click on "Apply for Job", complete the required fields and upload their CV. Review of applications will start on 15 January 2024.  Applications will continue to be accepted until the position is filled.

At STRI, we value and embrace diversity in all its forms. We are committed to creating an inclusive environment that welcomes and celebrates individuals from various backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives. We believe that diversity fosters innovation, creativity, and collaboration, which are essential to our success.

We encourage individuals of all races, ethnicities, genders, sexual orientations, ages, abilities, and backgrounds to apply this position. We provide equal opportunities and maintaining a fair and respectful recruitment process for all candidates. If you require accommodations during any phase of the application or interview process, please let us know, and we will be happy to assist.

STRI is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.

Dr Sean Connolly
Staff Scientist/Research Biologist
Naos Marine Laboratories
Smithsonian Tropical Research Institute
Panama City, Panama
Republic of Panama
Ph: +507 212 8757
https://stri.si.edu/scientist/sean-connolly
"The human being...experiences himself, his thoughts and feelings as something separated from the rest, a kind of optical delusion of his  consciousness. This delusion is a kind of prison for us... Our task must be to free ourselves from this prison by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures ... Nobody is able to achieve this completely , but the striving for such achievement is in itself a part of the liberation and a foundation for inner security." -- Albert Einstein