[Coral-List] Ocean Temperatures Suddenly Over the Tipping Point!

Austin Bowden-Kerby abowdenkerby at gmail.com
Thu Jul 20 22:25:10 UTC 2023

(Resending with modifications and graphs deleted, as I don't think it got
posted).

Update on the horrendous thermal anomaly situation:

Since I wrote, the situation with the global temperature spike
has worsened.  We have surpassed the 21C mark for mean ocean temperature,
and the temperature continues to rise sharply.  How high will this get
before it levels off?  If you have not looked at this yet, please do, as it
promises to be a game changer for coral reefs and it is possibly a threat
to our careers.

A basic change appears to have happened to the earth's energy budget that
climate scientists are still trying to figure out. This spike started in
the ocean in March while the atmosphere did not go badly off-scale until
months later in June.  A major change to the heat budget of the ocean has
occurred, such as what we might expect with the collapse or partial
collapse of the AMOC.  This happened too suddenly and is too strong to be
attributed to El Nino. https://climatereanalyzer.org/clim/sst_daily/

The data is conservative, as it is the average ocean temperature between
60N-60S, which excludes the polar areas. The Earth's oceans at these
latitudes are now a full degree hotter on average than they were 30 years
ago, in 1993.

Some have suggested that this spike might be a delayed impact of the
massive water release into the upper atmosphere by the Tonga volcano, and
if so, the temperatures should come down within 5 years or so.  But what
will be left by then?  Restoration is not possible in this situation, and
any coral work becomes threatened species conservation, the prevention of
local extinction. The skills learned by the restoration people are needed
now more than ever, but applied differently, to secure the genetic
diversity of each of the most vulnerable coral species.

In our Fiji sites, we started preparing three years ago for these sorts of
temperatures, which we expected would be coming 20 years from now- not
knowing that these temperatures would arrive so soon!  We began sampling
corals of vulnerable genera from hot pocket reefs that reach 32-37C during
normal summer months, and moving these pre-adapted, bleaching resistant
corals, out to cooler water nurseries.  We then established second
generation patches of heat adapted corals on the highly impacted and cooler
outer barrier reefs.  We are in the process of recording the natural
processes of recovery and adaptation that these nucleation patches help
facilitate.

We are proposing what appears to be the first coral-focused and
participatory climate change adaptation paradigm. We welcome partnerships.

We call these strategies "Reefs of Hope", which these videos below explain
in variable detail.
4 minutes; Launching Reefs of Hope:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LnJ-eUVJwqE
22 minutes; Details of Reefs of Hope :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BG0lqKciXAA
21 minutes; Narrated regional scope powerpoint:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arkeSGXfKMk
Publication on ROH coral-focused climate change adaptation strategies:
https://www.mdpi.com/2673-1924/4/1/2/pdf

If any in the Caribbean and Florida, with collections of coral diversity
representing years of work, are facing bleaching, I suggest that you act to
save your corals, and not just watch them die, hoping for the best.
Several options are available: If you have a diverse coral nursery in
danger of bleaching, I encourage you to shade the nursery, to prevent these
genotypes from bleaching and potentially dying out. Translocation of heat
adapted corals out to cooler waters might also be possible, shading any
moved corals as reorientation during high UV periods will cause sunburn on
any new upper surfaces.

Regards to all,

Austin

Austin Bowden-Kerby, PhD
Corals for Conservation
P.O. Box 4649 Samabula, Fiji Islands
https://www.corals4conservation.org
https://www.globalgiving.org/projects/emergency-response-to-massive-coral-bleaching/
<https://www.globalgiving.org/projects/emergency-response-to-massive-coral-bleaching/>

On Wed, Jul 12, 2023 at 12:35 AM Douglas Fenner via Coral-List <