[Coral-List] Ocean Temperatures Suddenly Over the Tipping Point?

Douglas Fenner douglasfennertassi at gmail.com
Mon Jul 10 21:48:04 UTC 2023

Smith, J., Risk, M., Schwarcz, H. *et al.* Rapid climate change in the
North Atlantic during the Younger Dryas recorded by deep-sea corals.
*Nature* 386, 818–820 (1997).

Abstract

Research on global climate change has increasingly focused on rapid
(century-scale and decadal) changes. One such climate shift, the Younger
Dryas cooling event1, took place during the last deglaciation, from 13,000
to 11,700 years BP. Climate records from Greenland ice cores and North
Atlantic sediment cores show high-frequency fluctuations implying
significant (>5 °C) shifts in temperature at this time, taking place within
50–100 years (ref. 2). The origin of the Younger Dryas has recently been
attributed to a reduction or cessation of deep-water production in the
North Atlantic and a concurrent lessening of the heat flux from low
latitudes3,4. The role of intermediate waters (1,000–2,000 m depth) is less
certain, however, because climate proxies for this ocean reservoir are rare
and ambiguous. Here we report on the use of a new climate archive, deep-sea
corals from Orphan knoll (1,600m depth) in the northwestern Atlantic Ocean.
The oxygen isotope ratios in the coral skeletons (accurately dated by the
230Th/234U chronometric method) change markedly coincident with the
initiation of the Younger Dryas, suggesting that there were profound
changes in intermediate-water circulation at this time.

Not open-access.

 (amazing what you can find on Google Scholar.)

Cheers, Doug

On Mon, Jul 10, 2023 at 4:27 AM Risk, Michael via Coral-List <