[Coral-List] SCTLD spread by butterfly fish.

Alina Szmant alina at cisme-instruments.com
Tue Jul 25 16:11:32 UTC 2023

Thanks Steve for sharing the link to this paper, which I just read (carefully, including looking at each figure and table). There is no conclusion by these authors that the foureye butterflyfish had any role in prevalence or spread of disease (their words). Because the fishes seem to be attracted to decaying tissue there was a correlation (but no proof of causation) of abundance of the fishes with diseased corals. They did not find any increase in diseased coral heads where there was higher abundance of this species. Thus once again, over-zealous people are jumping the gun, misinterpreting the literature by not reading the fine print, and making suggestions for radical actions that are poorly founded. There is enough misinformation going around out there that contributors to Coral-List should be careful to not start stampedes...

Dr. Alina M. Szmant, CEO
CISME Instruments LLC
210 Braxlo Lane,
Wilmington NC 28409 USA
AAUS Scientific Diving Lifetime Achievement Awardee
cell: 910-200-3913
EMAIL: alina at cisme-instruments.com

CISME IS NOW SOLD BY QUBIT SYSTEMS; https://qubitbiology.com/cisme/

Videos:  CISME Video 5:43 min   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAYeR9qX71A&t=6s