[Coral-List] SCTLD spread by butterfly fish.

Mark Tupper mark.tupper at port.ac.uk
Tue Jul 25 15:07:37 UTC 2023

Here is a more recent (2022) paper on SCTLD and butterflyfish that
conducted feeding experiments to see whether foureye butterflyfish spread
the disease. The authors concluded that the butterflyfish were not a vector
and may instead be increasing infection recovery.

Frontiers | The Influence of Foureye Butterflyfish (Chaetodon capistratus)
and Symbiodiniaceae on the Transmission of Stony Coral Tissue Loss Disease
(frontiersin.org)
<https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fmars.2022.800423/full>

Cheers,
Mark

On Tue, 25 Jul 2023 at 15:55, Steve Mussman via Coral-List <

> Hi John,
>
> I believe this was the paper suggesting that butterflyfish may be playing
> a role in spreading SCTLD.
>
> https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s00338-020-01986-8
>
> I did not personally interpret its findings as clearly establishing the
> fact that butterflyfish are primary vectors of this disease. I do think the
> paper suggests that various benthic dwelling forms of marine life should be
> considered as possible vectors of this particular coral disease.
>
> Regards,
>
> Steve
>
> Sent from EarthLink Mobile mail
>
> On 7/25/23, 9:27 AM, John Ware via Coral-List <
> coral-list at coral.aoml.noaa.gov> wrote:
>
> Dear List,
>
> Apparently I have been missing something. Can someone suggest
>
> available, peer-reviewed papers demonstrating that butterfly fish are
>
> spreading SCTLD or other coral diseases.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> John
>
> --
>
> John R. Ware PhD
>
> 810 Maderia Cir.
>
> Tallahassee, FL 32312
>
> Cell: 928-595-0664
>
> jware at erols.com

Dr Mark H Tupper PhD, CFP, FMBA
Theme Lead - Aquatic Living Resources Management, Centre for Blue Governance
Institute of Marine Sciences, School of Biological Sciences

University of Portsmouth, Ferry Road, Portsmouth PO4 9LY

T: +44 (0)23 9284 5082; E: mark.tupper at port.ac.uk
<darren.mernagh at port.ac.uk>

Skype: mark.tupper; Twitter: @reeffishhabitat

Working hours: MWF 7:30-15:30, Th 8:30-4:30, Tu Off

Editorial Board, *Fishes*

Submit a paper to the Special Issue of* Fishes*:
https://www.mdpi.com/journal/fishes/special_issues/RDSO82ZO02

Recent publications:

·  A functional vulnerability framework for biodiversity conservation. *Nature
Communications* 13:4774 <https://www.nature.com/articles/s41467-022-32331-y>

·  Biodegraders of large woody debris across a tidal gradient in an
Indonesian Mangrove Ecosystem. *Frontiers in Forests and Global Change*
5:852217
<https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/ffgc.2022.852217/full>

·  Coral reef management in the Arabian Seas. Pp 1041-1071 *In: *Jawad, L
(ed.) *The Arabian Seas: Biodiversity, Environmental Challenges and
Conservation Measures*.
<https://www.springer.com/gp/book/9783030515058> Springer
Nature, Cham, Switzerland

·  Meeting fisheries, ecosystem function, and biodiversity goals in a
human-dominated world. *Science* 368(6488):307-311
<https://science.sciencemag.org/content/368/6488/307>