[Coral-List] Florida now has one spot with the highest recorded sea surface temperature

Steve Mussman sealab at earthlink.net
Sun Jul 30 16:17:54 UTC 2023

Hi Doug,

Events unfolding in Florida appear to be a game changer.

The magnitude of the bleaching is going to make it all but impossible for anyone involved in any way with coral reefs to continue to downplay the role of warming oceans. I’m already seeing and hearing long-overdue narratives emerging from sources who have up until now been contorting themselves in every way possible in an effort to avoid taking a firm public stance on climate change. Suddenly, “#action on climate change” is gaining traction and legitimacy in both the scuba diving and restoration worlds. Perhaps this will be the silver lining in these otherwise disheartening times. While many of us resist Austin’s call for radical action to be taken to control butterflyfish, his overall approach to revising restoration goals should ring true to everyone involved. Desperate times really do call for desperate measures.

Regards,

Steve

Sent from EarthLink Mobile mail