[Coral-List] Florida now has one spot with the highest recorded sea surface temperature

Austin Bowden-Kerby abowdenkerby at gmail.com
Mon Jul 31 20:44:55 UTC 2023

Fascinating Michael!

Thanks for the important corrections and clarifications about past drivers
of AMPC collapse.   This is a topic that I hope can be developed to be made
more accessible by the experts and modelers, so that it is more easily
understood by educators and the scientific community.  All sorts of
internet garbage is now being generated on Youtube to hype
the recent paper.   It is important that we all understand the facts, and
understand that this is not synonymous with total Gulf Stream collapse as
is being widely portrayed.  Many attribute the present marine heat wave in
Florida and the Caribbean entirely to El Nino, but this does not seem to be
the case.  Could what we are seeing be related to a buildup of warm
water due to a slowdown of ocean circulation and export of warm Caribbean
water via the Gulf Stream?

When the 13K Y-D event happened,  CO2 levels were much lower than today, so
I wonder how that might alter the situation?   Also, as the trigger for the
present spike in global mean temperatures has been attributed to the
delayed impacts of the Tonga Volcanic eruption- with the gigatons of water
vapor injected into the stratosphere and mesosphere, perhaps we have an
entirely new set of drivers operating?  I am hoping that it is possible to
get a slowdown without a collapse, enough to cool the permafrost areas and
prevent massive methane release, just enough to regain more normal
conditions.  The U Maine global mean sea surface temperature data continues
to worsen.  The developing situation is downright scary.
https://climatereanalyzer.org/clim/sst_daily/

Regards,

Austin

Austin Bowden-Kerby, PhD
Corals for Conservation
P.O. Box 4649 Samabula, Fiji Islands

https://www.corals4conservation.org
Publication on C4C's coral-focused climate change adaptation strategies:
https://www.mdpi.com/2673-1924/4/1/2/pdf
Film on our "Reefs of Hope" coral restoration for climate change adaptation
strategies:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BG0lqKciXAA
https://www.globalgiving.org/projects/emergency-response-to-massive-coral-bleaching/