[Coral-List] Bubbles from Millepora skeleton

Risk, Michael riskmj at mcmaster.ca
Mon May 1 14:13:11 UTC 2023

   Who, me? I've been cantankerous for lots longer then that.

   Dave: I didn't realise it was paywalled-I will send a copy to your
   email. Any anyone else who wants one.

   Although the O2 may supply the critter, I can't imagine most shallow
   orgs being O2 starved. More to the point: there is no gas in the corals
   in the morning. It builds up all day, under influence of light. So all
   this oxygen leaks out overnight, from the activities of boring algae.
   Which are present in every carbonate grain, every coral skeleton.

   Remember all those papers from decades ago, on reef productivity? Based
   on gas production? And all the O2 was deemed produced by corals as they
   grew? Well, a significant amount of the O2 was produced by destructive
   orgs. I have never trusted those papers.

   May the Millepora goddesses forgive me for all the branches I pinged
   off. But it's great fun.

   Mike