[Coral-List] Bubbles from Millepora skeleton

Douglas Fenner douglasfennertassi at gmail.com
Mon May 1 21:01:08 UTC 2023

       In shallow pools with little or no circulation from outside water,
oxygen levels at night can get very low, since all aerobic organisms are
using oxygen and none are producing it.  Koweek et al (2015) found that
oxygen levels in a small back reef pool in American Samoa ranged from
32-187% of saturation during a 24 hr cycle.
      Asia to Australia has some small, thin shark species called "bamboo
sharks."  They commonly live in small, shallow, restricted pools.  They are
able to survive low levels of oxygen that would kill almost any other
vertebrate.  Their brain shuts down and they are immobile.  When oxygen
increases they come to and resume activity.
      Cheers, Doug

Koweek, D. A., Dunbar, R. E., Monismith, S. G., Mucciarone, D. A., Woodson,
C. B.,

         and Samuel, L. 2015. High-resolution physical and biogeochemical
variability

         from a shallow back reef on Ofu, American Samoa: an end-member
perspective.

         *Coral Reefs* 34: 979-991.

https://www.oceanicsociety.org/resources/ocean-facts/the-shark-that-can-walk-on-land/

On Mon, May 1, 2023 at 4:23 AM Risk, Michael via Coral-List <