[Coral-List] Coral reef health over time vs human population trends

Douglas Fenner douglasfennertassi at gmail.com
Sun May 14 03:47:25 UTC 2023

A little more balance:

abstract:
      coral reef fisheries glass half empty and half full.  Big fish are
overfished, the majority of fish species are too small to be fished so
can't be overfished.
     American Samoa subsidies may be the largest in the Pacific, but it is
for programs every US state and territory gets by law, and money is not
just handed out, it is paid for people to do the work of those programs
that improve people's lives.  The territory population is 45,000 and the
USA has 330 MILLION people.  The subsidies are a minute portion of the US
federal budget.  Most Americans have no idea that the place exists at all,
and indeed it is about that tiny.

       Coral reef fisheries could be seen as a glass half empty, and a
glass half full.  First, overfishing of at least some fish species on coral
reefs is very widespread, only places which have no people and are very far
from people do not have some coral reef fish species overfished.  And the
Maldives don't have overfishing of reef fish, where people eat tuna, not
reef fish.  On the other hand, most coral reef fish species are too small
to fish.  The reef fish families that have the most species are gobies,
blennies, damselfish, and some others like cardinalfish.  The Indo-Pacific
has about 500 species of gobies, over 100 species of blennies (Lieske and
Myers, 2001)  They are all small.  Published estimates are that fisheries
take 200-300 species of reef fish.  The Philippines and eastern Indonesia
have something closer to 3000 species of reef fish.  So reef fisheries
probably take about 10% of all reef fish species there.  So about 90% of
all reef fish species are not fished there.  Surely most of the catch is in
a group smaller than 200 species, and probably some others get taken on
rare occasions.  Fish species that are not fished cannot possibly be
overfished.  These two seemingly contradictory things can be resolved by
realizing that each species can have a different amount of fishing pressure
and different status, and in general, fisheries pressure the largest
species the most and the smallest the least.  The ecosystem has finite
resources and can't support many large fish, but can support vastly more
tiny fish.  Also, the incentives are for larger fish to be taken, they can
feed more people and/or be sold for more money.  More fishing pressure on
fewer individual fish yields greater depletion.  There are very few species
of the largest fish on coral reefs.  The most massive species in both
the Caribbean and the Indo-Pacific are groupers, Goliath grouper in the
Caribbean gets up to 455 kg, Giant Grouper in the Indo-Pacific up to 300
kg.  Humphead wrasse in the Indo-Pacific can weigh up to 190 kg, bumphead
parrots up to 46 Kg. (data from Lieske and Myers).  Caribbean reef shark up
to 70 kg, Caribbean nurse shark 109 kg, Indo-Pacific Gray reef shark 34 kg,
Whitetip reef shark 18 kg, Caribbean rainbow parrotfish 20 kg (data from
fishbase).  Many of the smallest reef fish weigh just a few grams.  These
mass differences are ENORMOUS.
       A little more context about Pacific island societies.  American
Samoa is pretty unusual in the Pacific.  It is indeed heavily subsidized by
the US, and that is why it is richer than all non-US areas in the Pacific
other than New Caledonia (though poorer than every US state and every other
US territory).  Although it is subsidized, what it receives is the various
and many programs the US federal government has, which all US states and
territories receive, and which is based on their population.  A large
population state receives more than a small population state or territory
like American Samoa.  The big difference is that all states and other
territories have real economies, but American Samoa lacks resources.  It
has a total of 10 square miles of nearly flat land.  You can't sell ocean
water or basalt lava rock which are its main natural resources.  American
Samoa is tiny and very isolated, it is 5000 miles from the USA, which is a
disadvantage in a modern economy.  Locally based fishing vessels catch
about $20 million worth of tuna a year, but that is tiny.  The biggest
business is the tuna cannery, which exists there only because of a much
lower minimum wage than the US has, and that it doesn't have to pay import
duty on tuna no matter what flag the ship flies and can send the canned
tuna to the US and no import duty is paid.  And residents don't have to pay
US income tax.  All done to support the local economy.
       I'm not an economist, but having people in places that have little
or no resources and having to subsidize them is not the economically most
efficient way to set things up.  At least in modern economics.  By law, the
US federal government must make all of its programs available to all states
and territories, and do it by population.  Also, people here do not have to
pay US federal income tax, that is a major subsidy (the Am Samoa income tax
is actually higher than the US federal income tax).  People in American
Samoa are actually moving now to the states faster than they are being
born, for a net loss of about 5000 people per 10 years, the Census reports
over the last 20 years.  There are more Samoans in Carson, California than
in American Samoa, and many in Hawaii and other parts of the US.  The
territory now has about 45,000 people.  That compares to 330 million in the
USA, and a little over 500,000 in the US state with the least population,
Wyoming.  So the USA has nearly 10,000 times as many people as American
Samoa.  Supporting American Samoa is a very, very tiny item in the USA
federal budget.  I suspect that American Samoa has the most subsidized
economy in the Pacific, with the most subsidy compared to the size of the
real economy.  Mind you, the money is not just handed out.  It is for all
kinds of programs to improve people's lives.  Most of the money goes to pay
people to work on the programs, like the health care system. road repair,
electrical system repair and communications system repair, schools, etc.
Some goes for buying or repairing equipment.  But money is not just handed
out.  American Samoa is not eligible for international aid because it is
owned by the US, a developed nation and a donor nation, not a recipient
nation, and American Samoa is its responsibility.
       Mind you, saying that American Samoa has very few resources is based
on modern concepts of resources.  People originally settled on Pacific
islands, 3000 or more years ago, perhaps because there was no one living on
the islands, and so people who were landless from other areas thought it
was good for them.  If they didn't, they would have gotten right back in
their voyaging canoes and went back.  But they didn't.  They even stayed on
atolls, and atolls are much harder to live on, and have many fewer
resources, than high islands.  No surface running water.  Sand, essentially
no soil, very hard to grow food crops.  Absolutely tiny land areas.  No
high places to escape cyclones (hurricanes).  (the only fresh water is down
in the sand, floating on top of salt water, and is not very pure)
       People who leave little islands usually go to developed countries
where there are more jobs, which pay better, and there are more services,
including better educational opportunities for their children's future.
People who stay probably love where they live and are comfortable with
things the way they are, and like many people around the world, they like
where they grew up, including the culture, and are not eager to go
somewhere with a different culture.  I'm guessing at this, there is plenty
of room for different ideas.
       Cheers, Doug

Lieske, E and Myers, R.  2002.  Coral Reef Fishes.  Princeton Pocket
Guides, 400 pp

Fishbase  www.fishbase.org