[Coral-List] Designation of a new marine sanctuary to to protect the Pacific Remote Islands (PRI)

Douglas Fenner douglasfennertassi at gmail.com
Thu May 18 23:14:37 UTC 2023

A recent news item in the "Samoa News" that serves American Samoa, quoted
the American Samoa representative to the US Congress as saying that the
governors of the 3 US Pacific territories (Am Samoa, Guam, and the
Marianas) all opposed this.  The representative is quoted as saying that: "As
soon as we heard of the President’s announced plan to further limit the
commercial fishing that is the cornerstone of our local island economy, I
immediately and urgently responded publicly, voicing strong concerns in
Congress..."

The representative was also quoted as saying "...the President’s
announcement happened without much-needed consultation with the indigenous
peoples of affected islands, and without adequate examination of the
possible devastating affects on our economy,”

Mind you, there are NO "indigenous peoples" from or in the islands in this
National Monument, to my knowledge.  I don't think anyone has ever
permanently lived on any of the islands before Europeans arrived (they are
too small and remote).  Palmyra Island has a marine lab on it now, and Wake
has a military base.  None of the others have residents, as far as I know.
These islands are south of Hawaii and north of American Samoa, long
distances from both.  If I remember, the islands consist of Palmyra,
Jarvis, Baker, Howland, Johnston, and Wake, as well as Kingman Reef north
of Palmyra.  Wake has a US military base on it, Johnston has an airport
runway and was the site of a chemical disposal unit at one time.  All are
currently part of the Pacific Remote Islands Marine National Monument.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pacific_Remote_Islands_Marine_National_Monument
The article makes the point that some of the islands have links to
indigenous peoples of archipelagoes other than American Samoa.  My
understanding is that the coral reefs around these islands are already
protected

But these islands are certainly within the range of modern industrial
fishing boats, and Samoans are certainly the indigenous people of the
Samoas.

I'm not surprised   When NOAA was considering listing some corals under the
US Endangered Species Act, there was significant concern here, which wasn't
much allayed by the fact that NOAA listed them as "threatened" not
"endangered."  That seems to be of less concern now.

American Samoa is the site of one of the world's largest tuna canneries.  I
have no idea how much tuna is caught within the US EEZ areas around these
islands.  I believe only US fishing boats are allowed to fish in those
waters in the US EEZ outside of the monument.  As far as I know, the
territory government is the largest part of the American Samoa economy, and
the tuna cannery second largest.  I worked for the territory government for
10 years, ending 10 years ago.  When there were 2 canneries operating, they
were roughly equal to the government as segments of the local economy, I
have read.

I'm posting this so people are aware of this news story.  I know of no poll
that indicates what the public thinks of this in American Samoa.  I'm not
advocating this position, but I think it is good to be aware of different
viewpoints.

The original story that quotes the American Samoa representative is on the
newspaper website here:

https://www.samoanews.com/local-news/amata-welcomes-governors-united-stance-fishing

What do people think in Guam and the Marianas?

Cheers,  Doug

On Wed, May 17, 2023 at 12:37 PM Robert Richmond via Coral-List <