[Coral-List] Help Us Understand the Beauty of Coral Reefs

Alina Szmant alina at cisme-instruments.com
Sun May 28 13:37:03 UTC 2023

Hello Mark:

In 1993 I helped Bob Ginsburg with the Global Aspects of corals Reefs: Health, Hazards and History colloquium he organized at the University of Miami.  Researchers came from all over and presented their case studies.  On the 3rd day of the Colloquium there was a session about measures and policies that could be used to help save coral reefs and ecotourism was applauded by many as the solution for a number of reasons.  I clearly recall feeling alarmed at the prospect of millions of people flocking to thousands of hotels built along 100s of km of coral reef coastline and spoke out against the concept. Boy was I shot down. The economics of developing coral reef ecotourism to help all of the poor people living near coral reefs won the day!!! This was going to help prevent overfishing the nearby reefs because the locals would have have new ways of making a living rather than depending on coral reefs for food, barter goods and building materials.

 How did that work out for coral reefs?????

Dr. Alina M. Szmant,  CEO
CISME Instruments LLC