[Coral-List] Help Us Understand the Beauty of Coral Reefs

Risk, Michael riskmj at mcmaster.ca
Sun May 28 19:35:36 UTC 2023

   I remember that workshop fairly well, despite the oceans of adult
   beverages.

   I recall endless blather about ranking of threats. Everyone had their
   own favorite culprit-one senior Australian coral taxonomists suggested
   that scientists taking coral samples should be included as a threat.
   (Having a lab full of dead corals I kept my mouth shut.)

   My abiding memory was when I suggested "Triage" for reefs, based on the
   policy of the French Army dealing with battlefield casualties. Divide
   them into three groups. Those that can hobble off to the aid station
   without aid, let them go. Those who will die no matter what heroic
   efforts are made-don't waste your time and resources. Let them die.
   Concentrate on the 3^rd group, those who will die without aid, but are
   likely to survive if helped. I had previously floated the triage idea
   at a Coastal Conference, but thought Miami would be a more receptive
   audience.

   As examples, I suggested:

   -parts of the GBR were probably OK, long as ag input doesn't ramp up.
   Leave them alone, but monitor.

   -some Indonesian reefs are severely stressed by sediments and
   sewage-these can be controlled, the techniques are out there-focus on
   examples like these.

   -the Florida Reef Tract? There's not enough money in the world to save
   it, given the population pressure and lack of political will. Let it
   go.

   Bob got quite hot at my proposal, and insisted that there was plenty of
   coral in Florida and I should pick a better example.

   I remember saying Bob, history will show which one of us is correct.
   (Not in any way to diminish the memory of a top scientist and friend.)

   Mike