[Coral-List] New survey method

Zachary Ferris zferrismb at gmail.com
Thu Apr 25 15:49:39 UTC 2024

Hello all,

On April 17, 2024, I published my first paper which is available here:
https://doi.org/10.1038/s41598-024-59123-2

We created an algorithm, called *ReScape*, which transforms reefscape
images into top-down views. This perspective transformation removes the
perspective distortion in reefscape images, allowing for the extraction of
percentage cover and colony size data from 'recreational' images of
reefs, which was not previously possible.

Notably, *ReScape* enables us to begin uncovering historical reef dynamics
where we lack data and to begin using reefscape imaging as a new survey
method.

We compiled *ReScape* into a free App that does not require any coding
experience to use.

The App is available for download here:
https://github.com/InstituteForGlobalEcology/ReScape/releases/tag/v1.0.0

Step-by-step instructions for using the App are available here:
https://github.com/InstituteForGlobalEcology/ReScape

Thanks,

Zach Ferris

Ph.D. Student; NSF Graduate Research Fellow

Institute for Global Ecology

Department of Ocean Engineering and Marine Sciences

Florida Institute of Technology

+1 (734) 680 7571

zferris2022 at my.fit.edu