[Coral-List] Leading by Example (International Coral Reef Observatory)

Contessa Ricci contessaricci at gmail.com
Fri Feb 2 17:46:13 UTC 2024

Hello again Coral List,

I am heartened to see actual conversation surrounding solutions to the dire
situation in the Caribbean from those who are on the ground and living the
realities that manifest the situations we see there. This is an
excruciatingly important voice in this conversation. I appreciate
everyone's input (that I have seen) so far: *Ruleo Camacho*, you bring up a
very important point that immediate solutions *are* indeed necessary at
this time, as well as the very real issue of the lack of social appetite to
do things differently. *Nohora Galvis*, thank you so, so much for putting
in the hard work that organizing is to push for real change and keeping
these important and vital ecosystems so close to your heart. *Hector Reyes*
that is an incredible example you bring up and I have not been able to get
it out of my head (and also sounds like a FANTASTIC opportunity to reach
into the past with genetics/etc. to answer A LOT of the questions involved
in exploring transplanting invasives as a solution today - you're welcome
coral listserv 😉)

I acknowledge and unequivocally agree that the factors hurting our reefs
and the barriers to solutions they face are complex. However, a complex
problem inherently requires a complex solution. We know that the problem is
our environments are not hospitable, but we also know that coral reefs can
display resilience to climate change impacts when additional anthropogenic
stress is minimal. In my opinion, solutions to date have failed because
these facts have been swept under the rug, downplayed, or treated as an
impossible state to achieve (of course with my own opinions for why). This
is also, in my opinion, why solutions that do not address the fundamental
determinant of outcomes when bleaching events occur (*local* environmental
stress) will ultimately continue to fail.

As a researcher currently working toward tackling issues of similar
magnitude in a different part of the world (Pacific Northwest Indigenous
food sovereignty), I have learned that it is absolutely vital to
meaningfully partner with the local community to do so. To expand on what
Hector Reyes posed previously: what do they want? How do they measure
"healthy" and "successful" reefs? What do they view as the *real* (and I do
mean *REAL)* problem?

To echo Nohora Galvis's work, it will take comprehensive community- and
international-level activism with a clear and focused message (e.g.,
regulation with enforcement and investment of resources to achieve and
maintain minimally polluted environments to give reefs a chance while the
rest of the world figures out what it wants to do about climate change).
Coral researchers (of course in my own opinion) need to shift toward
thinking about how they can use their research to support these efforts
instead of trying to lead them, often from afar (there are exceptions, I of
course assume).

I will refrain from responding on this subject again (at least for a while)
to invite other voices into the conversation.

Thank you,
Contessa

On Fri, Feb 2, 2024 at 6:05 AM Ruleo Camacho via Coral-List <