[Coral-List] Leading by Example (International Coral Reef Observatory)

International Coral Reef Observatory icrobservatory at gmail.com
Fri Feb 2 20:01:26 UTC 2024

Thanks Ruleo for your insights,

We should look for EFFECTIVE solutions. In Spanish we have a saying "Del
Afán solo queda el cansancio". If we look for "Instant solutions"
perhaps those will not be the appropriate ones, if we really aim to save
any hope for Caribbean coral reef ecosystems.

Effective solutions will be to implement technology to avoid sewage and
other pollutants like plastic, etc, to go directly to coral reefs. We
should use and recommend green alternatives for energy supply. Our
lifestyles should be transformed accordingly to avoid further climate
change. Definitely we should stop green / blue washing. This last one was
one of the conclusions of the Caribbean and Latin American Roundtable of
UNEP this week in Bogota, Colombia.

In the whole Caribbean, you and many of us have experience finding ways to
control invasive species e.g. Lionfish. Experimenting in the wild at large
scales bringing species from other oceans may become potential danger to
native species that are trying to survive. Those proposals may become part
of the problem that reduces local resilience.

Yesterday I attended the webinar "Ocean Community Empowerment and Nature
(OCEAN)" and congratulated them on their focus on empowering communities to
address the Ocean Crisis. Increasing the involvement of local communities
improves coral reef management effectiveness, that is a fact. We have in
the Caribbean Sea two Hope Spots in Colombia and because of the involvement
of the local fishers and their families, we have avoided the destruction of
coral reefs with megaprojects that already had the approval from
restoration practitioners.

Happy World Wetlands Day 2024 !!

Nohora Galvis
International Coral Reef Observatory, ICRO
ICRS World Reef Award
Facebook ICRObservatory
Twitter / Instagram / Youtube ICR_Observatory