[Coral-List] new sponge climate record

Douglas Fenner douglasfennertassi at gmail.com
Tue Feb 6 08:27:54 UTC 2024

Sea sponges keep climate records and the accounting is grim, study shows

https://www.msn.com/en-us/weather/topstories/sea-sponges-keep-climate-records-and-the-accounting-is-grim-new-study-shows/ar-BB1hO8nw

open-access

Ocean warming and warning

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41558-023-01921-z

Not open-access

300 years of sclerosponge thermometry shows global warming has exceeded 1.5

open-access.  The sponges were collected in Puerto Rico at a depth of 31-91
m, so mesophotic (probably coral reef).  Sclerosponges have a massive and
hard calcium skeleton with a thin layer of living sponge tissue on the
surface.  They are mostly at mesophotic depths in the Caribbean, in lower
light habitats if shallower.  Not really common I would say.  I'm presuming
that they add to their external skeleton slowly.  Most are pretty small,
one species can be at least 10 cm diameter, others may be smaller.  I don't
think I've ever seen one in the Indo-Pacific, though they are surely here.
My impression is not many species.

Wikipedia says "
Sclerosponges[edit
<https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Demosponge&action=edit&section=2>
]

Sclerosponges were first proposed as a class of sponges, *Sclerospongiae*,
in 1970 by Hartman and Goreau.[16]
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demosponge#cite_note-16> However, it was
later found by Vacelet that sclerosponges occur in different classes of
Porifera <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Porifera>.[17]
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demosponge#cite_note-17> That means that
sclerosponges are not a closely related (taxonomic
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taxonomy_(biology)>) group of sponges and
are considered to be a polyphyletic grouping and contained within the
Demospongiae. Like bats <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bat> and birds
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bird> that independently developed the
ability to fly, different sponges developed the ability to build a
calcareous skeleton independently and at different times in Earth's history
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geological_history_of_Earth>. Fossil
sclerosponges are already known from the Cambrian
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cambrian> period.[18]
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demosponge#cite_note-18>"
For more articles on related subjects, see:  https://www.nature.com/search

Such as:

Resistance to ocean acidification in coral reef taxa is not gained by
acclimatization

Coral resilience to ocean acidification and global warming through pH
up-regulation

A coralline alga gains tolerance to ocean acidification over multiple
generations of exposure

Cheers, Doug

--
Douglas Fenner
Lynker Technologies, LLC, Contractor

Costanza, R. 2023. To build a better world, stop chasing economic growth.
Nature 624: 519-521.   https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-023-04029-8

Fossil fuel air pollution kills 5 million people world-wide per year
https://www.yahoo.com/news/research-shows-disturbing-between-millions-200000257.html

World's richest 1% emit as much as 5 billion people
https://makerichpolluterspay.org/climate-equality-report/

Huge expansion of fossil fuels planned, will be very destructive
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2023/nov/08/insanity-petrostates-planning-huge-expansion-of-fossil-fuels-says-un-report

"without policy changes, the world will heat up enough by the end of the
century that more than 2 billion people will live in life-threatening hot
climates"         Will you be in that area???
https://www.yahoo.com/news/scientists-sounding-alarm-dangerous-problem-123000792.html

World subsidies for fossil fuels reached an all-time high of over $1
TRILLION in 2022, the last year for which data is available.  The subsidies
MUST end.

https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/observations/fossil-fuel-subsidies-must-end/