[Coral-List] new sponge climate record

Dennis Hubbard dennis.hubbard at oberlin.edu
Wed Feb 7 14:26:07 UTC 2024

Phil:

Thanks for your historical commentl. One ooooold question on your use of
"framework. How specifically are you using this definition? In the 60s and
70s, we spent way too much time trying to convince ourselves that a "reef":
was a feature largely constructed from in-place corals.. As one who looked
at "reefs" in core as much as biological entities we swam over, it was
pretty obvious that these were more "garbage piles" held together by
secondary biological and chemical "cements" than purely biologically built,
in-place  features. Some have called seawalls and breakwater "reefs" but I
think those of us on the listserve all agree that these are not what we are
talking about on the listserve.

Best,

Denny

On Wed, Feb 7, 2024 at 8:18 AM Phillip Dustan via Coral-List <