[Coral-List] Florida coral restoration in hot water

Risk, Michael riskmj at mcmaster.ca
Thu Feb 15 14:37:43 UTC 2024

   As Lars Sillen showed us almost a century ago, the major buffering
   capacity of the oceans lies in the silicate system, not the carbonate
   system.

   We geologists (I will be a geologist for to-day) view time a little
   differently than normal people. The carbonate system responds to
   short-lived events-a few thousands of years. The silicate system will
   take care of things in a few million years.

   I take no comfort in any of this.