[Coral-List] Fwd: Florida coral restoration in hot water

Austin Bowden-Kerby abowdenkerby at gmail.com
Thu Feb 15 21:17:17 UTC 2024

(Re-sending without our logo, which I think pervents our posts from being
published here.)

Doug,

This formula and calculation have always bothered me, as it is counter
intuitive, and against geological scales of carbon storage.
Calcium carbonate is the largest storage of carbon on the planet, and it is
mostly biogenic.
We need the big picture, not to get lost in the microscale chemical
reaction, which I think we have gotten lost in.

Perspective:
Forest carbon weighs heavily in carbon markets, when in fact most of the
carbon is stored for merely hundreds of years, it gets released back into
the atmosphere.
Soil carbon, in the form of fire-generated stable charcoal "biochar" can
remain stored for thousands of years.
Mangroves and seagrasses are good long-term sinks for carbon only due to
the anaerobic condition that occurs in their sediments, but how much of
this carbon be released when sea levels rise a few meters?
 Coral Limestone can be stored for millions of years, and is by far the
largest store of carbon on the planet, but it does not count in carbon
markets, because for every carbon atom stored another is released.  But
this discounts the fact that the carbon stored is essentially forever, and
the one released is inside a living organism and is used for
photosynthesis by the algal symbionts, and even if released into the water,
it can be absorbed by seaweeds and other plant life.  Also the carbonate
system of the ocean is highly buffered, and so does any of the carbon
supposedly released by coral reefs end up in the atmosphere?

But even if the carbon from calcification was directly released in to the
atmosphere, geologically speaking, if the relative sequestration time
period was factored into carbon markets, every carbon atom stored as coral
reef limestone should be weighed very heavily- by a factor I would
speculate to say is perhaps as much as ten thousand-fold, as compared to
forest carbon, and as much as a thousand fold for soil carbon and so
forth?  Coral reefs will beat them all if we take a more realistic longer
term view of earth's geobiological processes.

We need coral reefs to continue to have abundant corals on them!   And we
need carbon accounting to embrace geologically and biologically relevant
timescales in their calculations.

Regards,

Austin

Austin Bowden-Kerby, PhD
Corals for Conservation
https://www.corals4conservation.org
Publication on C4C's coral-focused climate change adaptation strategies:
https://www.mdpi.com/2673-1924/4/1/2/pdf
Film on our "Reefs of Hope" coral restoration for climate change adaptation
strategies:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BG0lqKciXAA
https://www.globalgiving.org/projects/emergency-response-to-massive-coral-bleaching/
<https://www.globalgiving.org/projects/emergency-response-to-massive-coral-bleaching/>

On Fri, Feb 16, 2024 at 2:26 AM Douglas Fenner via Coral-List <