[Coral-List] global threats drive coral declines of world reefs, not local impacts

Douglas Fenner douglasfennertassi at gmail.com
Fri Feb 16 01:59:12 UTC 2024

There are published studies showing that cyclones (= hurricanes = typhoons)
can reduce bleaching:

Hardman et al 2004, noted that Cyclone Annacelle mitigated bleaching in
Mauritius and Rodrigues in the Indian Ocean during the 1998 mass bleaching.

Hardman, E. R., Meunier, M. S., Turner, J. R., Lynch, T. L., Taylor, M.,
and Klaus, R. 2004. The extent of coral bleaching in Rodrigues, 2002.
Journal of Natural History 38: 3077-3089.

Manzello, D. P., Brandt, M., Smith, T. B., Lirman, D., Hendee, J. C., and
Nemeth, R. S.

           2007. Hurricanes benefit bleached corals. *Proceedings of the
National Academy of*

*           Sciences of the U.S.A.* 104: 12035-12039.

Heron, S.F.; Morgan, J.A.; Eakin, M.C.; Skirving, W.J. Hurricanes and their
effects on coral reefs. In Status of Caribbean Coral Reefs after Bleaching
and Hurricanes in 2005; Wilkinson, C., Souter, D., Eds.; Global Coral Reef
Monitoring Network, and Reef and Rainforest Research Centre: Townsville,
Australia, 2008; pp. 31–37.  (thanks to Austin for this reference!)

Carrigan, A. D. and Puotinen, M. 2014. Tropical cyclone cooling combats
region-wide

            coral bleaching. *Global Change Biology* 20, 1604–1613.

Hughes, T. Chance Cyclone Saved Southern GBR from 2016 Bleaching. Radio
Program with Transcript. D. Fischer, Producer. 2017. Available online:
https://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/scienceshow/chance-cyclone-saved-southern-gbrfrom-2016-bleaching/8376878
(thanks to Austin for this reference)

Cheers, Doug

On Thu, Feb 15, 2024 at 8:38 AM Austin Bowden-Kerby via Coral-List <