nitrates on corals

Coral Health and Monitoring Program coral at coral.AOML.ERL.GOV
Wed Nov 8 16:03:01 EST 1995

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sun, 19 Nov 95 12:09:11 EST
From: Tom Guilderson <tguild at lamont.ldgo.columbia.edu>
To: Coral Health and Monitoring Program <coral at coral>

For those on the list in the U.S. -

Did anyone happen to catch the program this past week either on the
"Discovery Channel" or "The Learning Channel" or perhaps even "NOVA" which
dealt with the effects of increased nitrate concentration on coral health?
I did not catch the program but learned of it from a friend. It was a
progress report of a long term study where they are elevating the nitrate
concentration on several small "micro-atolls" daily (they also have
controls where they aren't doing anything).  The end result is that the
increase in nitrate isn't resulting in enhanced blue-green algae activity,
but a significant decrease in coral growth.  They plan on increasing the
nitrate "spike" by a factor of 10 next season.

If any knows of this project, I'd be interested in catching up on it, as
well as perhaps tracking down a VHS copy of the show.

Thanks in advance,
This message is from:

Tom Guilderson
tguild at lamont.ldeo.columbia.edu