ICRIN's Coral Reef Directory

Sherry Flumerfelt sflumerfelt at coral.org
Mon Feb 10 19:40:31 EST 2003

Dear Ivan,
Have you tried searching ICRIN's International Directory of Coral Reef
Organizations (http://directory.coralreef.org/)?  This is a database of
hundreds of organizations from around the world that work on coral reef
related issues, including non-governmental organizations (NGOs), research
institutions, aquariums, marine protected areas (MPAs), government agencies,
international programs and more.  If you type "Vietnam" in the keyword
search, you will come up with organizations that work in that region.

This database is a work in progress.  If your coral reef organization is not
yet listed, please add it to the Directory by clicking "Add Your
Organization" and answering the questions.  If your organization is already
listed and you would like to add additional information, click "Edit Your
Organization."  If you do not know your email login and password, please
contact ngo at coral.org.

Best of luck.

Sherry Flumerfelt
Program Coordinator

The Coral Reef Alliance (CORAL)
417 Montgomery Street, Suite 205
San Francisco, CA 94104
Phone: 415-834-0900 ext. 306
Fax: 415-834-0999

Email: sflumerfelt at coral.org
Web site:  http://www.coral.org

Have you signed the Dive In Pledge yet?  Show that you care about coral
reefs.  http://www.coral.org/diveinpledge.html

> coral-list-daily       Monday, February 10 2003       Volume 03 : Number
029

> Re: Coral symbionts
> RE: carrying capacity, LACs and economic values paper

> Date: Sun, 9 Feb 2003 00:15:07 -0800
> From: "Gregor Hodgson" <gregorh at ucla.edu>
> Subject: Re: Coral symbionts
>
> Dear Ivan,
>
> Coral reefs in Vietnam are some of the most overfished in the world and
the
> reefs are subject to many other impacts. You may be interested in the
> following:
>

> Thang, H.V., G. Hodgson, E. Hresko, C. Ovel (eds) 1998. Coastal
Biodiversity
> Priorities in Vietnam. Proceedings of the Workshop on Coastal Priorities
in
> Vietnam, Hanoi 4-6 November 1997. Institute for Environment and
Sustainable
> Development Publication 98-02, Hong Kong University of Science and
> Technology, Hong Kong.
>

> Vo S.T. and Hodgson G. 1997. Coral reefs of Vietnam: Recruitment
limitation
> and physical forcing. p. 477-482. Vol. 1. In: HA Lessios (ed) Proc. 8th
> Intl. Coral Reef Symposium, June 24-29, 1996, Panama City, Smithsonian
> Tropical Research Institute, Panama.
>

> Gregor Hodgson, PhD
> Director, Reef Check
> Professor (Visiting)
> Institute of the Environment
> 1362 Hershey Hall Mailcode 149607
> University of California at Los Angeles
> Los Angeles CA 90095 USA
>
> Tel: (1) 310-794-4985 Fax: (1) 310-825-0758
> Email: gregorh at ucla.edu
> www.ReefCheck.org

Duncan's
> point is certainly valid).  However, for management purposes,
> generalizations could be made for several different categories of reef.
>
> Furthermore, because several factors* can be modified, carrying capacity
at
> any site can be changed significantly. Note that in the Galapagos Islands,
> maximum carrying capacity of 20,000 visitors per year was set in 1985.
> Currently, over 65,000 people visit each year.  Through various management
> measures, associated visitor damage is minor, especially compared to other
> stresses (e.g. introduction of domestic animals).
>
> I've not seen Jamie Oliver's paper, but "limits of acceptable change" is a
> great concept if you are confident of the cause-effect relationships.
This
> is more the case for terrestrial systems than marine.  LAC also requires
> legislation and management controls strong and flexible enough to allow
> effective and timely changes in management.
>
> Controlling visitor numbers also does significantly affect potential
> economic, financial and social benefits. For many asscociated reasons it
> will be better to build up capacity cautiously over time!
>
> All these issues are being explored in some current/proposed research:
> Spurgeon, J. (in prep) "Maximizing benefits and revenues from coral reef
> management", hopefully culminating in a paper to be presented in Japan.
In