[Coral-List] Coral Calcium recent news piece

Gregor Hodgson gregorh at ucla.edu
Tue Aug 31 20:47:06 EDT 2004

http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/spotlighthealth/2004-05-25-lawrence_x.ht

-----Original Message-----
From: coral-list-bounces at coral.aoml.noaa.gov
[mailto:coral-list-bounces at coral.aoml.noaa.gov]On Behalf Of Tiffany
Leite
Sent: Tuesday, August 31, 2004 4:40 PM
To: coral-list at coral.aoml.noaa.gov
Subject: [Coral-List] Coral Calcium

Hello All,

I've been researching the coral calcium craze online. Most of the
information I've found is from the manufacturers themselves debating the
benefits of fossilized versus marine coral sources.

I don't approve of any coral collection - fossilized or not - and don't
believe the hype about the health benefits. I'm writing an article opposing
coral calcium presented from the environmental side. Does anyone have any
recent studies or articles to refer me to on the effects of dredging the
"dead" coral underwater and mining the fossilized coral on land? Details
about these processes would be very helpful.

The coral miners say that their collection process is more environmentally
friendly. Those that dredge for coral underwater argue that their process
contributes to the health of live coral. Although they both are regulated by
law, it seems there are still damaging effects to both methods.

Thank you,
Tiffany Leite