[Coral-List] zooxanthellae counts from histological sections

Nicole Patten npatte10 at scu.edu.au
Sun Apr 10 22:35:15 EDT 2005

Dear coral listers,
I would very much like to hear from scientists who have obtained
zooxanthellae counts from histological sections. I have 1um toludine blue
stained sections that I have prepared from Acropora sp. which I want to use
to determine zooxanthellae abundances. The few papers I have regarding
methodology for this are from the 1990s and have used calibrated microtomes
to manually count zooxanthellae in a calculated area of the gastrodermis. I
am aware that there are now image analysis programs that are available for
this type of work though I am not having any luck finding the names of such
programs (or recent papers that have used such methods). I would appreciate
any information you can share. Please contact me directly on my email address,
Thanks in advance
Nicole

Nicole Patten <npatte10 at scu.edu.au>

PhD Candidate
School of Environmental Science and Management
Southern Cross University
PO Box 157
Lismore, NSW
AUSTRALIA  2480