[Coral-List] Spawning times for the US Virgin Islands? (MelissaKeyes)

Szmant, Alina szmanta at uncw.edu
Thu Aug 17 03:33:41 EDT 2006

Hi Judy:

We have checked for Montastraea faveolata spawn for the last 3 nights (Aug 14 to 16) here in La Parguera (nights 6-8 after full moon), and got only a dribble from a few colonies.  Ernesto Weil has documented major tissue loss since last fall's bleaching event which lasted into the spring.  The corals only recently recovered from the bleaching, and there is a lot of yellow blotch disease.  We don't know whether they are waiting until the September cycle to release or they have reproductive failure this year.  Ernesto has some tissue samples we will examine for gonad formation.  This is the first time since I've started doing this annual spawning work (1993) in which we have not seen Montastraea spawn profusely during this lunar phase.

On the good side, Montastraea cavernosa and Diploria strigosa both spawned fairly well, and as you wrote, the Acropora palmata spawned profusely 2 nights in a row.

Regards,

Alina (on her way to bed...)

Dr. Alina M. Szmant
Coral Reef Research Group
UNCW-Center for Marine Science
5600 Marvin K. Moss Ln
Wilmington NC 28409
Tel: (910)962-2362 & Fax:  (910)962-2410
Cell:  (910)200-3913
email:  szmanta at uncw.edu
Web Page:  http://people.uncw.edu/szmanta