[Coral-List] Minisymposium reminder: Functional Biology of Corals and Coral Symbiosis at ICRS 2008

Alexander Venn alexandervenn at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 14 16:37:09 EST 2007

Dear List,

We would like to remind all concerned that we are still accepting abstract
submissions for the following mini symposium at ICRS 2008 (abstract deadline postponed until December 15th):

“Len
Muscatine memorial mini-symposium on the functional biology of corals and coral
symbiosis: Molecular biology, cell biology and physiology”

Key topics of interest include:

a) What is the cellular basis of
host-symbiont recognition and specificity in corals?

b) What are the molecular and cellular mechanisms underlying host-symbiont
signalling and regulation in corals?

c) What are the molecular, cellular and physiological mechanisms underlying key
aspects of coral biology, including photo-acclimation and photo-protection,
host-symbiont nutrition, and calcification?

d) How diverse are the molecular, cellular and physiological processes
underlying coral/algal symbiosis?

Abstract submissions are welcome on all functional
aspects of corals and cnidarian-dinoflagellate symbiosis. In addition to the
topics above, this includes submissions on cnidarian-dinoflagellate symbioses from
temperate regions and symbioses involving cnidarian hosts other than corals. Submissions
on other invertebrate-algal symbioses will also be considered where they
provide a useful comparison with cnidarian-dinoflagellate associations.

The mini-symposium is being held in honour
of the late Professor Len Muscatine, whose work pioneered understanding of the
functional biology of cnidarian-algal symbioses, and we aim for the
mini-symposium to reflect Professor Muscatine’s interests and legacy.

Details of registration and abstract
submission are available at http://www.nova.edu/ncri/11icrs/.

Regards,

Co-chairs Simon Davy (Victoria
University of Wellington),
Virginia Weis (Oregon
 State University)
and Alex Venn (Bermuda Institute of Ocean Sciences)

Alexander Venn Ph.D.
Postdoctoral Research Scientist
Bermuda Institute of Ocean Sciences
Alex.Venn at bios.edu